Getting kids to eat healthy is one of the most common parenting challenges. You are not alone and it is not hopeless. Acquiring tastes for different (non-sugary) foods takes time and requires parent patience. Think of it more as a marathon than a sprint. We are in it for the long-run and in time our kids will catch on. Our job as parents is to expose our kids to healthy foods – not to force our kids to eat them. The kitchen table is a place for families to come together, not a food battle field.
Kudo Banz can help with this milestone! Here are some simple steps to ease into eating healthy. Award your child a Kudo charm everytime they are successful with a step. When you feel they “mastered” a step, move on to the next one. Simply tell your child “you’ve done such a great job learning how to “mastered step”, let’s work on “next step.”” Don’t worry if you are on the same step for a week or two. No rush. Keep it positive and stress-free!
KUDO STEP SUGGESTIONS (start at step you think your child is ready for):
- Play with food. Smell it, push it around with fork, count them, name the color. (Goal here is accepting the item to be on their plate.)
- Try one small bite of food.
- Try two bites of food.
- Try three bites of food. (You get the idea.. add number of bites you feel appropriate.)
- Kid picks one fruit or veggie to be included in each meal. Eat all (but serve small portion).
- Kid picks one fruit or veggie to be included in each meal. Eat all (serve normal-sized portion).
- Eat the fruit or veggie served in each meal. Kid choice goes away but serve only foods they have shown success with. Of course, if it works for the meal you can give them choices so they have a part in the decision-making (“Should we have peas or corn with dinner?”).
- Add new foods to meals but only require 2-3 bites at first.
Kudo Banz Behavior Milestones:
Kudo Banz is like an on-the-go chore chart. Positive reinforcement reinvented to meet the needs of today’s millennial families. As kids grow, they are constantly learning new behaviors. Reaching these milestones in a positive manner is where Kudo Banz comes in! We are here to help start and end behavior in a fun and positive way. Sticker charts or chore charts are often stuck at home, Kudo Banz is always there when you need it since it is right there on your child’s wrist (keeping them motivated to reach their incentive goal).
Finally, a behavior chart that works for your family and makes raising good kids easy and fun. Say goodbye to yelling and tantrums. Kudo Banz makes positive parenting simple.