(Social & Emotional Learning)
Kudo Banz aligns with SEL because Kudo Banz:
- Builds students up by building their confidence, and focusing on the positive.
- Through inclusion and goal setting, Kudo Banz can work on specific SEL behaviors like understanding others. Kudo Banz is structured so that kids can feel included and appreciated, all kids wear a band and work toward their goals individually as well in a group.
- Since kids have a plan, they are more likely to make constructive choices about personal behavior and social interactions.
- Because Kudo Banz is always on their wrist, students can remember and self-regulate their behavior and emotions, stay mindful of their goals, stay on-task and listen attentively.
- Models positivity towards others so that students can learn to build others up instead of knocking them down.
- Builds kids confidence so they feel confident in participating in classroom discussions.
- Kudo Banz creates opportunities for students to be responsible in the classroom. By being mindful of their goals, kids can stay on-task and make connections between their choices and potential consequences.
- Because they are working on a group goal, students feel like they are a part of the group and are more open to using the support and feedback from peers to improve to reach the group goal.
Work hard and accept challenges as opportunities to grow)
Kudo Banz aligns with Growth Mindset because Kudo Banz:
- Teaches students the feeling of success by setting up small achievable goals. As students feel the success they get hooked- and their confidence grows.
- Models persistence to reach their goals
- Creates a sense of community where other’s achievements can be celebrated
- Builds a sense of confidence, which may lead to taking on more challenging tasks
- Encourages kids to take on challenges and learn from them, therefore increasing their abilities and achievement
- Through Kudo Banz, positive affirmation is given to students on a consistent basis which makes students feel good and know that their efforts can lead to positive results.
(Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports)
Kudo Banz aligns with PBIS because Kudo Banz:
- Sets a clear plan in place; students and teaches set goals together, creating a plan that kids are a part of. Since they had the opportunity to self assess and set up a plan together, students better understand their goals and feel more vested in reaching them.
- Focuses on the positive behavior, minimizing attention to the negative behavior
- Creates learning opportunities that emphasize the desired behaviors
- Is easy and quick to use which helps the teacher maintain instructional time to the remainder of the class.
- Is flexible, can be used for many different behaviors and on an individual or group goal.
- Uses inclusion; Kudo Banz can be used as a classroom goal and/or can be set up as an individual plan working on shaping specific behaviors.
- Can be used in conjunction with PBIS feedback guidelines: Functional, Accurate/Consistent, Specific, Timely.
Connecting Home and School
- Because it’s right there on students wrists, it goes where children go. For tough behaviors, it can be use both at home and at school, creating a strong consistent message between home and school.
- When used together, Kudo Banz works as a united message because of the connection that is consistent at home and school.